Fitness Tips and Injury Prevention
Hey pole addicts! So many of us get seriously addicted to pole dancing for many reasons. It’s definitely one of the most fun and unique workouts I’ve ever done and easy to see why people want to do it again and again and again.
One thing that I think needs to be addressed with pole dancers is injuries due to overtraining. We get those little kinks in our forearms, maybe our back hurts just a little bit, a twinge in the shoulder…all things I’ve heard from clients and also experienced myself. I think the problem is that we just don’t listen and take the time to take care of our bodies. It’s definitely hard to walk away from that trick you’ve been working on for months to give your joints a break. What it comes down to though is if you do not take care of your body, your body will not heal therefore you will be out from pole classes longer!
Here are some tips to hopefully help keep you from overtraining:
1. Know your limits – if you are trying to work through the pain, your body will overcompensate and end up injuring you and other places as well.
2. Try a stretch class – loosen up those muscles and joints and tell your body you are taking care of it.
3. Myofascial release – grab a lacrosse ball or a roller and work out those kinks. I roll the bottom of my feet and it releases my back believe it or not!
4. Consult with a personal trainer, bodyworker, massage therapist, etc. – if you are getting injured over and over, there is probably something in your body that you need to strengthen and/or release. Having an outside eye will help you recognize your body’s patterns of dysfunction.
5. Try crosstraining – weightlifting, yoga, dance, and pole conditioning exercises are just a few examples of how you can supplement your pole fitness regimen.
6. Fuel your body -make sure you are getting a mix of healthy fats, carbohydrates and proteins. Nutrition plays a large part of recovery.
So, pay attention to those beautiful bodies! Lack of injuries due to overtraining will keep you on the pole longer and stronger!!!