January 2, 2013
As an instructor, I hear from students quite often that they have trouble freestyling because they don’t know what to do. Practice is probably the easiest answer to that, but I wanted to give everyone some freestyling tips from how I learned and improved.
1. Pick a song you can really get into
2. Think about what style of pole dance you want it to be…slow, sexy, fast, contemporary, full of powerful tricks, etc
3. Pick three different pole dance spins and/or tricks you have perfected and want to incorporate
4. Start from different positions like on the floor, pole, wall, etc
5. Look at yourself in the mirror when you can or even better, VIDEO! This will help you see what the audience sees from multiple angles and help improve your movement
Freestyling is a very important part of pole dance fitness. It helps with your overall movement, endurance and flow. It also helps you to form your own, unique dance style so have fun with it!